The Totton & Eling Community Association was originally called the Eling Community Association. It was formed in 1951 and situated at the Nissen Huts in Osbourne Road, off Rumbridge Street.
The first AGM was held in November 1951 and Mr Bunn was elected as Chairman, with Mr Tutte as the member's representative, Mr Batley as Treasurer and Mr Pass as Secretary.
The name was changed to Totton and Eling Community Association in 1952.
From 1952 it ran the Carnival and Eling fair, later to be taken over by “Carnival Committee” committee.
The Totton & Eling Community Association moved into the Civic Centre Buildings in 1966 and occupied an upper hall and lower common room, but initially had no central office.
Since then the building has been altered several times to accommodate the Town Council and to provide extra rooms, a kitchen and toilets!
In the early years the Community Association entered floats in the Carnival, entered the inter community centre competitions and won many trophies. There was an award-winning drama group and choir both run by Mrs Pike. Many other groups have been started and run by the Community Association until they were able to support themselves.
An early honorary President was Mrs Able Welch who ran the group Rosemary Singers.
The Association holds a lease for the Community Centre with Totton and Eling Town Council. The Town Council is responsible for the main structure of the building and for repairs, maintenance and decoration.
As a registered charity the Association benefits from an 80% mandatory rate relief and the district council exercises a 20% rate relief to all its community buildings.